Jonas Vildmark's Method for Survival Training (JVMS)

Please see the updated version of this post instead by clicking HERE !

The knowledge about how to survive the outdoors, also known as Bushcraft, gives individuals the ability to be comfortable under harsh conditions, with or withoutequipment. Examples of such knowledge is how to; build shelter,start a fire, find food, navigate, treat physical and mental injuries.

Jonas Vildmark's Method for Survival Training (JVMS)
I have my own method of training bushcraft tecunicues and to gather experience of survival under more extreme conditions. I call the method Jonas Vildmark's Method for Survival Training (JVMS). This method can be described by the formula[ xobject+10xkm+10xh].
The concept is based on the ratio between equipment, distance and time. I will now describe an example.


Description of a "JVMS 6, 60, 60"
If I choose to carry out a 60 hours (2.5 days) long survival training session I restrict my gear to only 6 objects and I plan a 60 km long hike. In this example I replace the variable x with the number 6 and get the equation:
[6object+60km+60h] = "6 things and 60 km in 60 hours"

That is to say, if I instead had chosen to be out for 120 hours (5 days) I take a 120 km hike with a total equipment consisting of 12 things. Then  the training session would becalled a "JVMS 12, 120, 120”


Equipment
Thedefinition of an object is that a shirt counts as one object and apair of pants counts as another object. A pair of socks counts as one object and a pair of shoes is another.
My packing list for a "JVMS 6,60, 60" during the summer season would usually look something like this.

1 overall jumpsuit with a hood
1 pair of joggingshoes
1 fixed blade knife
1 Fire steel
1 map
1 compass

Note that I've opted out underwear and backpack.
For safety reasons, in addition to the above list, I also bring a Safety Kit holding; ID card, a fully charged
cell phone and a first air kit in case of an emergency. If you're in need of frequent medication that medicine is also something you bring in addition to the list. I also often bring my camera so that I can document my experience for you, my dear reader.

Distance and Time
In this "JVMS 6, 60, 60” example I plan a suitable 60km route for hiking which will be covered during the 60 hour long training session. It'sperfectly OK to replace one of the 6 items in the gear list with for instance a bicycle, if I feel I can do without for instance the compass. But I still need to spend the entire 60 hours outdoors, despite the fact that a bike might enable faster transportation. Also note that any loose accessories on the bike, such as a bag or a bicyclepump, is defined as additional items to be accommodated within theframework of the list, as in this case only may consist of 6 things.

Less is more
Jonas Vildmark's Method for Survival Training (JVMS) shows; the more things you bring with you into the woods, the more comfortable you might be able to get. But more stuff also means that you'll be needing to cover a longer distance and spend more time outside in Nature's juste, but sometimes tough environment.


Security and pleasure
Always bear in mind that this method, or othertraining methods similar to this are activities meant tobring knowledge and experience in a creative and safe way. Your survival skills may one day save your life, therefore it's very important that you execute your training with big  personal responsibility. Always listen to your common sense and be honest with yourself , your and others limitations. If you're the least unsure, do not execute a training session like this without experianced company. Always notify friends or relatives about your plans before headingout. To get acquaintance with Mother Nature this way should be a pleasure, although a tough one. Remember that you need the landowner's consent if you're planning to make damage (break branches and take down trees) to the land you'll be staying on during your training session.
Have fun out there and please let me know if you have any questions regarding Jonas Vildmark's Method for Survival Training (JVMS), or if you would like to share your experiences.

På Svenska